So today we started potty training Mason AGAIN He did really well this time and it went so smoothly I couldn't believe it. It only took 1 day, and he was done (poo and pee). I can't believe I just throw those words around now, pre-kids would have never happened. BUT lets rewind months ago to the nightmare we lived to get to this point, I'm writing this so that no one ever thinks it is that easy... When we first bought the potties it was when Mason was about 1.5 we didn't pressure him we just showed him that they were there and sometimes he was interested and sometimes he was not. I wasn't going to make a deal out of it and not let anyone else pressure us into doing it, but by his 2nd birthday he acted like he was ready. He would come and tell me to change his diaper when it was wet or when other business had been done. Then later he would go off in a corner and want privacy when he was busy. So we started...still not pushing him, giving him stickers, filling out charts, doing dances and of course reading potty books. Then one day I noticed he hadn't gone to the washroom (#2) for the whole day and that might seem weird that I noticed but this kid was like clock work. Every morning about 10 he had his constitutional. Then a 2nd day passed and on the 3rd day he was obviously uncomfortable and by that night was screaming and withering in pain. We gave him a warm bath and then pumped his legs...up,down,up,down for what seemed like an eternity. Nothing still so I ran to Shoppers to ask the pharmacist what we could do. I left equipped with a few choices, doing them was a whole different story. I think mom's are defiantly better in these situations, because we know its uncomfortable but we tend to see the big picture and I knew this wasn't going to be fun but I knew our little man needed some help and I sure wasn't going to make him go another night. So I gloved up and we will spare the rest of the details...for embarrassment of my little man. Picked him up and soothed him took him to our bed and Alin rubbed his little tummy. Wasn't 5 min later there was an explosion of sorts and 3 days worth was released. I thought this would be the end of it but this honestly went on for about 8 months. We had doctors visits to rule out medical reasons and I must have researched 20 hrs on line for help. He had just decided to not go anymore, and apparently it is mind over matter. Later he would have to go and I would notice he would just sit on his foot, or want to lie down or scream (that was the hardest part and most frustrating to me because if he would just go he would feel better) I took him to a chiropractor, a naturalpath I really did exhaust every avenue I knew, he was on stool softeners (which we researched as well and these ones wouldn't make his bowels lazy) It was awful and not just for Mason but our whole family, poor Dani was at his mercy, Alin never wanted to go anywhere in case Mason had one of his colossal meltdowns it was HORRIFIC, HORRIBLE, EXHAUSTING and I really couldn't see the end of it. One particularly horrible day I was at my wit's end packed him up and took him to the doctor and was bound and determined I was not going to leave till something was done, I was lucky for more reasons than one that Alin was at home with our other 2. She gave me a referral to the hospital for a x-ray and I hurried out the door to go straight to the hospital, really worried about Mr. M. Abbie was at home and needed to be nursed and I had a million other stresses on my mind. Pull out of the parking lot go to leave and a lady ran right into us. She wasn't even backing up and just ran into the back of our truck, by the gas tank. I was furious. She kept apologizing and I was livid, but true to my nature didn't say anything. We ended up having to go down to the police station before I could go to the hospital, came out of the police station and their was a parking ticket on our truck ?@#$@ is really what I thought. Off to the hospital to wait.....wait....wait....After hours of waiting they decided to do what I had been sent there for in the first place. They took a x-ray, Maon was a rock star he did so well (this is also after the doctors told me, oh he's probably a little constipated and other nonsense...) They came back and told me he was backed up all the way to his descending colon!!!!
Lesson to you guys as your older...trust yourselves, you know your kids better than anyone. If you think there is a problem there usually is. Be persistant
They gave him an enema and told me it would clear things up....it did nothing! No change or movement at all, they told me I'd have to work from both ends:/ They then proceeded to tell me that he should eat better...these kids eat so healthy they are great fruit and vegtable eaters I'm anal in what I feed them, whole wheat pasta's both Alin and I were a little frustrated with that comment. I'm always mixing hemp, flax and other things in their food so I knew diet wasn't the issue. Anyway this eventually cleared up when HE decided to go....so the reason I am writing this is because I think we all tend to forget things...I overheard Alin saying potty training was a breeze "Shannon did it in one day" and I cringed because that may have taken one concentrated day of timers, rewards and encouragement but sometimes we forget what it took to get to that miraculous one day potty training:)

No comments:
Post a Comment