Today was Rememberance Day. Normally we would go down to the memorial and be there for the service, but Alin was unsure of letting us go down with the huge crowds and in light of what just happened, he is nervous that there would be something go wrong. So
we stayed home and watched it on television, I was a little disappointed to be in Ottawa and not be down at the memorial but it actually turned out to be quite a touching experience. The kids were playing in the living room when the broadcast started, but I had them all stand beside me as we say "Oh Canada" the words truly hit a chord with me and I could feel and hear my voice crackng with emotion. I was so impressed with the speakers and the use of prayer the mention of God and how It was just a great program. One fellow caused my heart to ache I think he was 92 and they interviewed him after but while the service was going on and the bag pipes began to play you could see in his face that he was back in the war... Remembering... His eyes started to well up and then he closed them. My heart was filled with gratitude, love, admiration and sorrow. I felt sorrow for the things he had probably seen, done and felt and immense gratitude for the life I have. I pray that my brothers, my brother in laws and our sons/daughters NEVER have to go to war. That we are always blessed to live in a free country. The kids made poppies (paper plates and paint)I think it's so important that our kids realize the blessings we have living in Canada respect for everyone that has paved the way and are still paving the way. One of the things that my parents always did was take us to the rememberance service growing up which as an adult I truly appreciated the lesson of the importance of remembering, respecting and showing gratitude for our Country and its servicemen.
The kids put their hand painted poppies on the grave of the unknown soldier and I was so proud of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment