Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Momma Bear Syndrome Dec 11,2013
Mama bear syndrome is a very odd thing, sometimes you let things slide and sometimes you don't. This morning was a no sliding day for this mama bear. I took the kids to Billings Bridge's mall to try and find a dress for Alins Christmas party and to drop off a little treat for Alin. It was crazy and busy and full of Christmas shoppers, we went about our business and at the end decided to get Alin some treats at the Swiss bakery, I manovered my stroller in and was finished and trying to get out when I saw a older lady giving me the look ~ the one that says that everything I'm doing is somehow offending her, followed by some grunts, sighs and another disapproving look...at this point momma bear is still sleeping and then she wakes the beast by turning around to get a good look at my little entourage and telling the lady beside her " it is ridiculous that boy riding in the stroller, he's big enough to walk, what kind of mom lets her kid ride in a stroller (keep in mind here I have a double stroller, which is awesome so I have 2 kids in it at all times, so Abbie was in the front, and it's the kind that is narrow one on top of each other, not a double wide) then instead of stopping she continued...more grunts and hurtful comments (when your a parent you'll understand why comments like these are so heartbreaking... First it's because you are already trying to do your best, you know where you fall short and parenting is emotional, your trying to do things perfectly and the best for your children, so when people say things it stings that much more) at this point Trina you would be proud... I was already out of the store and I turned around and went up to her and said "Sorry, but what your saying about us is quite offensive, you know nothing about us and all I want you to be is kind" as I walked out she said I should stay home with them and a few other things I couldn't make out. The store clerk and other customers were a little shocked with her abrasiveness but I could feel the tears welling up and needed to get gone. I turned into Alins office and the first person I saw was Sylvie and then the tears flowed I was so embarrassed but thank her for her kind words. I couldn't wait to get home, to the warm, safe haven that our home is. My heart was a little tender and as I was getting madder and madder and of course thinking of all the great comments I should have said to her a thought crossed my mind...I was right she didn't know anything about me but I also didn't know anything about her. What kind of day had she had? As we turned on to one of the side streets I saw a little old lady walking in the cold, covering her face as I drove on by I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed she looked like she was really struggling...so I did something I generally don't do in the city, I stopped and backed up, rolled down my window and asked if she needed a ride. She happily accepted and you know what... My heart mended a little and the sting of the morning eased
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment